Mammoth Fire responds to reports of fire at the Westin. (Photo: Kirkner)
On Jan. 19 at 3:51 p.m. the Mammoth Lakes Fire Department responded to a call for a fire in one of the rooms at the Westin. Guests had to evacuate their rooms quickly and were unable to return for several hours. To keep them occupied Westin management sent those who were interested to Gomez’s in the Village for food and non-alcoholic drinks courtesy of the hotel.
According to a press release from MLFD, upon arrival crews found heavy smoke on three floors. The cause of the smoke and heat appears to have been an overheated boiler flue pipe. There were no injuries, but there was, however, extensive damage to the flue pipe and the enclosed chase.
Mammoth Fire responded with three engines, two trucks, and an ambulance, a total of 34 firefighters. Mammoth also had mutual aid assistance from Long Valley and June Lake Fire Departments, Mammoth Lakes Police Department, and Mono County Paramedics.
On Thursday the hotel was still closed while repairs were being made. Guests were relocated to other local properties until Friday.